Need a gluten-free meal loaded with flavor that will leave you feeling full? Try this easy sweet potato ground turkey skillet! It’s great to feed the whole family or reheats well for a week of meal prepping. It’s so mouth-watering, you’ll want to make this skillet again and again.
This skillet is loaded with fresh ingredients! You can play with the ingredients to make it taste perfect for you. Adding corn, swapping the cheese, or choosing a different colored pepper would make a difference.
3 medium sweet potatoes
1 lb ground turkey
1/4 cup cilantro
1 cup mozzarella cheese
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp chili powder
1.5 tbsp cumin
1/2 cup of water
Salt and pepper
1. In a large cast iron skillet, heat oil on medium/high temp for 1 minute. Add minced garlic and stir. Then add ground turkey. Use a wooden spoon to break apart the ground turkey and cook until browned. (Approximately 8 minutes).
2. Add chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper.
3. Add diced onion and bell pepper, and cook for 3-4 minutes.
4. Add sweet potatoes and water. Stir and cover with a lid. Let it cook for approximately 6-8 minutes until the potatoes soften.
5. Remove lid and add more salt, pepper, or other spices if needed. (I added Cajun seasoning to spice mine up). Top with shredded cheese and allow it to melt. Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro before serving.
Yields: 6 servings
Total Time: 30 minutes